Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Gratitude Weekly - Memorial Day

I am so thankful for those who serve our country and have served our country in the past. Serving is what it really is. The hours are horribly long and the dediction required is incredibly high. I know personally by what I see Jay give of himself and know that there are those who regularly give more and still those who have died who have given all to serve and protect our country and us as indiviuals. They leave their homes and go to fight in other countries so that the fighting doesn't happen on American soil.
On Memorial Day Toby Keith's song American Soilder was on the radio and Jay said, "He really gets it right in this song. That is exactly how I feel."

And I will always do my duty no matter what the price
I’ve counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don’t want to die for you, but if dyin’s asked of me
I’ll bear that cross with honor, cause freedom don’t come free.


Jay's peers were asked to complete a survey on the factors that made them stay in the Navy and what makes them want to get out. The number one reason for staying in was Loyalty to Nation/Sevice, number three was Patriotism. Those were ranked well above pay. I am proud of my husband and so very thankful to all those who have come before us and paved the way and those who stand beside him and continue to work to keep us safe and free.

2 comments:

Angie said...

You might not remember me, but we were friends back in Charleston. I found your blog through Valarie's. It is so exciting to find old friends and see how things are turning out for them.

Mandee said...

Those things would have to rank above pay because youi are seriously not paid enough for the things you have to do. It is kind of like being a teacher. You do it because you love it not because you are getting rich doing it.