Friday, May 16, 2008

Best Possible Match

Last Thursday I found out that I am "the best possible match for a recipient in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant".
I joined the Dept. of Defense Marrow Donor Program back in August of 2006. An author that I really enjoy was having a book signing on a book about Navy SEALs. She had joined with the DOD to add people to their bone marrow registry at each of her signings. At the time one of the active duty Navy SEALs from Virginia Beach was looking for a match. I had always wanted to be on the national list for Bone Marrow Donors so I managed to register at her book signing.
Back in March I was contacted that I was a possible match for someone. The next step in the process was that I went to a lab and gave them some more blood. I was contacted on Thursday May 8th and told that I am now the best possible match and would I proceed. YES. They sent me a DVD and book to read followed by a phone interview in which the details for donation were discussed. I was asked if I would proceed. YES. Next week I head up to Georgetown University for a Physical with the doctors who will be performing the surgery. Then we wait for about a week for two doctors and the DOD coordinator to sign off saying that I am okay for donation. At current time I am scheduled to donate on June 19th.
All I know about the person that I am donating for is that she is a 41 year old female with prolymphocytic leukemia.
When I signed up for the Donor program it was an abstract thought that I might be able to help save a life. I feel kind of like I have won the lottery.
There are still some hurdles to cross, but we are on our way.

5 comments:

kenzie said...

I knew you were a wonderful person, but I didn't know you were literally an angel. Good luck with the surgery. I know you and your family will be blessed for what you do.

Mandee said...

Is there anything you and Jay won't do to help someone in need? What a legacy you are creating for your children. You make me proud to be your friend.

Valerie said...

Holy moly! Susan! This sounds JUST like you. And whoa. that's all I can say!

K2 said...

Susan that is totally awesome! Let us all know how it works out.

RCH said...

What a wonderful gift! I know you'll be blessed for your willingness to help someone you don't even know. You're awesome. :-)