Monday, March 10, 2008

New Starts

I know that I am a week behind on sharing my thoughts about what I am grateful for, but it really seemed to defeat the point of looking for my blessings when I say that I am grateful that this week is over. That could go for this past week or the week before. I have been sick or someone else has been sick or all of us have been sick for so long that I can't remember what life used to be like. Throw a bunch of personal crisis in for each of my children and it seems like I live in a tornado. But when I thought about the fact that it is Sunday night and the last week is over and a new one has begun I thought about why Sunday feels like such a relief, and this is what I came up with.
I love having a new start or a clean slate. This feeling comes from taking the Sacrament each week. I apply the new start feeling to other areas of my life, but the main one is, on Sunday when I go to church and renew my covenants with Heavenly Father by partaking of the Sacrament then I know that as I go out into my week I can go forward into a better week. I can do my best to forget the mistakes of last week and try again in the week to come. It helps me to focus my goals back to my ultimate goal which is to live my life for Heavenly Father and put forth my best effort in the places that matter most.
So today, Sunday night, after a great day at church I would say that I am grateful for the new start. Ultimately I am grateful for the Atonement of Christ.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

What a nice feeling to start out on a Monday morning! You've reminded me to do better in Sacrament meeting. It seems that there are so many distractions (like four kids sitting next to me or ON me!) that I seldom take the time anymore to remember what I'm doing there or what the significance of taking the sacrament is. When my kids are being noisy I ask them, "What should you be thinking of during the sacrament?" But I guess I'm too busy policing my row to think in reverent terms myself. Thank you for the reminder!

Mandee said...

Can I just say how impressed I am with you? You are always so positive. Clark and Emily were at our house on Saturday and told us about what you and Jay did for that guy who was fighting for custody of his kids. What fantastic people you are! I am glad to know you.

Emma Jo said...

I'm glad I can be friends with such tremendous people. I love you! and I am always so grateful for your insights and wisdom and advice and fun friendship!! Thanks for reminding me that Sunday should be my day to "re-set" and start fresh.

K2 said...

You are the coolest!